Before the bugs start bugging you this season, prep your outdoor space with these natural bug repelling plants so you can enjoy those warm evenings without swatting away any pests. These plants make an effective defense against mosquitoes, in particular, and can add some life to your patio!
1. Citronella grass: lasts much longer than the candles, and you can enjoy the lemony scent without having to light it on fire!
2. Rosemary, basil and peppermint: just a few herbs that do great to keep bugs at bay. Keeping a pot of these nearby the house is also convenient for cooking or grilling in warmer weather.
3. Catmint (catnip): especially appealing to the feline in your life. Catmint can be more effective even than DEET. We recommend keeping it in a pot. Catmint can easily invade your garden like a weed.
4. Lavender: you'll want this fragrance indoors, too! The smell of a lavender plant keeps away bugs and critters. It's drought-resistant qualities make it viable during a dry season.
5. Marigold: is good for two reasons. They'll deter mosquitoes and, if you plant them around vegetable gardens, aphids and other bugs after your veggies.
6. Scented Geranium: go with the lemon scent, which is very similar to citronella grass. You'll get beautiful blooms and a powerful bug deterrent.